Monday, July 23, 2007

What a difference a DAC makes...

A DAC, digital analog converter that is...

Let me tell you ladies, if your SO is the least into audio learn these words: Burr-Brown. Speak that to them and they will melt at your very sight (which they should already, but one always should have extra ammo on hand right?) this chips are the holy grail to audiophiles, well mostly... they're the shiznit. If my SO knew them I'd be putty in her arms (as it is I'm mud and cement mostly, but I digress...).

After an arduous install of an Alpine iDA-X001 unit into the daily driver, I remember my youth spent in rapt attention to detail wiring up various tube gear and gingerly rebuilding old tube mics to record real drum sets and upright bass and why sound mattered. But at some point I forgot all this (cough**children**cough) and just decided to go with the flow. Hmmm what was I thinking... Dunno, but I got some of the old spark back and will be diving in for more tomorrow at 5am on the way to work...

No comments: